Sunday, August 24, 2008

ciao bella

Since my last post, I have done a lot of sightseeing in Roma. Yesterday, despite having a blister the size of a quarter on the ball of my left foot, I walked around the city and went to the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. I absolutely loved the Trevi Fountain...and of course I threw a coin in! I also enjoyed the Spanish Steps, especially because I remembered that in the movie Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn, she gets her first gelato and eats it in front of the steps. So cool!

Yesterday I tagged along with Valerie's group because they got a guided tour through the Colosseum and the Forum by the professor of Ancient Roman Civilization. It was really helpful to have someone explain the ruins to us, considering when Valerie and I first saw them we said, 'Um.. there's one hella old building' and 'Here's some more old stuff.' Not very scholarly. Anyway, the Colosseum was amazing and since we went on a late tour, by the time we grabbed dinner afterward, it was dark outside so it looked even more beautiful.

I still haven't gone inside the Vatican, though practically every night Valerie and I have been sitting in front of it for a while because it's sort of in between her apartment and my hostel. It's really peaceful and beautiful at night. We were hoping to do the tour today, Sunday, but I guess the Vatican Museums {with the Sistine Chapel} are closed on Sundays. We'll have to do that another day then. Instead we are going to the Trastevere neighborhood, which is supposed to be really cute and my brother recommended a great pizza place around there.

Speaking of food, I had really good lasagne last night. It was so cheesy and creamy and the pasta tasted homemade and absolutely delicious! Yesterday was the first day I didn't have gelato... yikes! I have discovered a yogurt-flavored gelato that is like a really amazing and creamy version of Pinkberry. Obviously, it's way better and it almost has sort of a cheesecake-y quality about it.

Well, Val is supposed to be meeting me shortly, so I better run. Once I get my photos uploaded and I am not on the hostel's computer, I will definitely post some. I have so many already!

ciao

No comments: